[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Satyajit Ray Org • View topic - Onachar kawro jodi, raja tawbey chharo godi

Skip to content

logo
Site Map | About Us | Contact

Home About Ray Biography Filmography Filmmaking Forum Great Directors Books & Videos Links

Onachar kawro jodi, raja tawbey chharo godi

Onachar kawro jodi, raja tawbey chharo godi

Postby manikjethu on Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:17 am

[i]HIRAK RAJAR DESHE[/i] was the Master's most political film, his statement of protest against the Emergency imposed by the government of the late Mrs Indira Gandhi between 1975 and 1977.
The most remarkable feature of the film is that the characters (barring the fugitive played by Soumitro Chatterjee) speak in verse. Utpal Dutt as the tyrannical monarch is mind-boggling; Hirak Raja is perhaps his most memorable role yet (and to think that he was apprehended during the Emergency!!!).
The songs are excellent and do maintain the continuity from [i]GOOPY GYNE BAGHA BYNE[/i].
Like [i]GOOPY GYNE[/i], [i]HIRAK RAJA [/i]also has a magician on the pay-rolls of the King. The role is played by none other than the inimitable Santosh Dutta, who doubles up as the aging King of Halla, a part he portrayed in [i]GOOPY GYNE [/i]too.
Was the tyrant in [i]HIRAK RAJA [/i]modeled on Mrs Gandhi? May be it was. Remember, all the ministers and departments of government were eulogizing the King, something reminiscent of Mrs Gandhi’s days in power. All evidences of poverty (including the poor themselves) were systematically eliminated from the capital city before the arrival of the foreign dignitaries and a prosperous but grossly misleading picture of the kingdom was presented to them on the occasion of its first National Day. That was the practice during Mrs Gandhi's rule and especially during the Emergency (remember Sanjay Gandhi’s forcible eviction of slums in Delhi?).
The closing song in the film has a line: “Aabaar aashbo dujonaye, phirey aashbo dujonaye” (We will be back again), fueling speculation that there was a third Goopy-Bagha movie in the offing. Indeed there was: more than a decade later Sandip Ray made [i]GOOPY BAGHA PHIREY ELO [/i](The Return of Goopy & Bagha).
The most memorable line from the film? [i]Onachar kawro jodi, raja tawbey chharo godi[/i] (If you are unjust, O king, relinquish the throne).
Can there be a stronger statement against tyrants and in favor of rule by popular consent?
manikjethu

Return to Hirak Rajar Deshe (Kingdom of Diamonds), 1980