[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Satyajit Ray Org • View topic - Music - Ray the Creative Genius

Skip to content

logo
Site Map | About Us | Contact

Home About Ray Biography Filmography Filmmaking Forum Great Directors Books & Videos Links

Music - Ray the Creative Genius

Music - Ray the Creative Genius

Postby siddhartha roy on Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:03 am

Rays music sense is best captured in Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne series..

In GOOGABABA the music is so Simple & so touching that it flows straight to the core of the heart.

Take for instance the courtyard scene in the kingdom of Shundi where the music comptetion takes place.

Ray draws a comparison on the various type of Indian Musics from North Indian Classical ( of various gharana) to simplest Kirtan of rural Bengal.
Everything turns pale when Goopy starts singing in the most touching form.. coupled with the lucid lyrics the song imparts a balming impact in the listeners ' ear. At the end it goes to proove that there is no substitute of simplicity.

Ray is so creative that he experiments with his sense of Karnatic Classical Music & composes a full song using VEENA as a base instrument.

In KINGDOM OF DIAMONDS.. Ray creates magic with his subtle sense of Western classical music. In most of the songs u find a shade of Western Classical in some form or the other .. yet the core tune again follows a straightforward approach ... touching the heart. The Music is so simple so rhythmic that u just can't stop humming tunes at the end of the songs.
siddhartha roy

The musician near the Lake

Postby soham_pablo on Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:20 am

My king favorite piece of music from SataRay films (second only to the music from Shonar Kella) is where the musician and his entourage are passing GooGa and BaaBa near the lake in the desert.

The strains of the music are so classical, and hilarious at the same time, it never fails to crack me up, and listen in awe at the same time.
soham_pablo

Ray's musical compositions : any study?

Postby Achille Forler on Wed May 04, 2005 7:28 am

I am surprised that, despite Ray having created such a large body of musical compositions, I haven't found as yet any writing on this aspect of his work. Could anyone enlighten me on this?
Achille Forler

ray's music

Postby sh_m on Thu May 19, 2005 8:04 am

it's weird you have not found any writing on this topic
possibly the best thing for you is read ray write about his music...catch hold of a copy of our films their films by ray.....ita an amazing book
sh_m

Postby Achille Forler on Thu May 19, 2005 8:55 pm

Noted. But I meant others discussing his music; it seems to me as if it has gone unnoticed. 8)
Achille Forler

Re: Music - Ray the Creative Genius

Postby marietta on Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:34 pm

Ray's movies would succeed almost as silent films - they are that beautiful. But adding the music is truly inspired. I have sought out and bought songs from his movies - such as music from apu trilogy by VS Sachdev which is a gorgeous piece of music on its own and perfectly matched to the imagery in the movie.
marietta

Return to Music and Sound