[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Satyajit Ray Org • View topic - The challenge to secular nationalism

Skip to content

logo
Site Map | About Us | Contact

Home About Ray Biography Filmography Filmmaking Forum Great Directors Books & Videos Links

The challenge to secular nationalism

Postby manikjethu on Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:25 am

Nikhilesh Banerjee, a landlord with western liberal political convictions, finds it difficult to reconcile with his friend's brand of militant Hindoo nationalism. A failed industrialist, Nikhil wanted to walk the path of economic regeneration of India on the lines of free market capitalism. For him, that was [i]swadeshi [/i]. He had no objection to the sale of British-made goods in his estate till the time India achieved economic self-sufficiency.
But his friend Sandip Mukherjee, a [i]swadeshi[/i] nationalist, would have none of it. The only way, Sandip believed, to weaken the foundations of the British empire in India was to stop the sale of British goods; he was willing to go to any extent to achieve his aim , even forcing poor subjects of Nikhil's estate (Shuksayar) to abandon British goods in favor of [i]swadeshi[/i] ones. Nikhil's plea, that the poor in India could afford only British goods because they were cheaper and of a superior quality than the India-made ones, fell on deaf ears.
Meanwhile, Sandip, a compulsive womanizer, has an affair with Nikhil's wife Bimola. Nikhil gets to know about it and despite realizing that Sandip's activities in his estate would lead to serious deterioration of the political situation there, fails to act against his friend; he knows his wife would suspect him of trying to separate her from Sandip if he threw him out of his estate and even if she was forced on that count, her heart would continue to belong to her paramour. That is why he does not want to force his wife out of the relationship but come back to him on her own.
By the time he decides to evict Sandip from his estate, things have reached a point of no return; a communal riot breaks out in Shuksayar.
Nikhil dies when he goes out to take stock of the situation.
Sandip wrecks both his home and the world outside.
[i]GHARE-BAIRE [/i] is must see for the Master's sensitive portrayal of the characters and the issues involved in Tagore's eminently political novel.
Many critics wrote that it was Satyajit Ray's [i]GHARE BAIRE[/i] and not Tagore's. I would like to know from all of them where the Master deviated from the original.
Last edited by manikjethu on Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
manikjethu

Can You Help Me-Please?

Postby Megha823 on Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:24 pm

Hi I'm new on this website.I am actually a little confused.I'm in college and I have to write an essay on THe home and the World.I have watched the movie and read the novel but I can't understand what to write because I'm really confused.I don't know what to write.
-Contrast the Characters of nikhil and Sandip and their versions of Patrotism and nationalism.?A page long essay.
-Unwilling to accept sandips view that love of country, expressed by the slogan Bande Mataram, required devotion above all else.Nikhil says "I am willin,"to serve my country but my worship I reserve for right which is far greater than my country." Write a paragraph on the meaning of Nikhil's response.
-Comment of Sandips political philosophy of swadeshi
-Write an essay commenting on the students arguments of about demanding to ban foreign goods in Nikhils Marketplace.
-Sandip dismisses Nikhils view of living in accordance w/ moral principles.He argues that success is the goal of life.Give your view of Sandips position in one page.
-"I cannot but feel again and again that there are two person in me "to"...of dissolution," it is obviously the author Tagore condemning Sandips version of patriotism.Analyze whether you agree w/ Tagore or not
-When Bimala reaches self awareness of the consequences of her actions, can you excuse her actions?one page.
-The novel ends w the riots bw the Hindus and muslims.Sandip who instigated the riots has fled to safer ground; the student Amulya is fighting ;NIkhil has gone out to stip the riots.The ;ast scene presents a horse-drawn litter with Nikhil with a bullet in the head and Amulya with a bullet through the heart.What does that mean.One paragraph
Megha823

Answers to queries on GHARE BAIRE

Postby manikjethu on Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:49 pm

Hi Megha! I have tried to answer your queries to some extent. I hope you will be able to elaborate on them and write a good assignment.

Nikhil was an honest man, and seldom compromised on his principles. He seemed, though, as one without a strong personality. Even when he did not approve of his friend’s activities—political and amorous—his failure to chastise Sandip till the end made him look patronizing. He spoke his mind on issues (he had very strong opinions on swadeshi, inter-faith relations, and the liberation struggle of his day) but refused to impose them on anyone, even not on his wife.
He deplored the condition of women, both married and widowed, in his country. He believed that women should get the benefit of Western liberal education (he made his wife dress in Western clothes and learn to read, write, speak, and sing in English) and opposed the seclusion of women from the rest of the world. He took the revolutionary step of introducing his wife to the world outside, even at the risk of getting her to know Nikhil, a compulsive womanizer. And when he discovered her relation with Nikhil, he forgave her saying that for a woman who had never seen a man other than her husband for nearly a decade, it was normal to waver.
Sandip, on the other hand, believed in grabbing things he thought rightly belonged to him, including the nation that was wrongfully occupied by an alien power. His motto was: might is right. He would do anything for success, He had no qualms in forcing poor Moslems to accept the swadeshi credo, just as he did not find anything wrong in getting physically intimate with a friend’s wife. He knew women were easily attracted to him, and he took full advantage of the situation.
Politically, Nikhil believed in the economic regeneration of India. For him, just as it was for Tagore, swadeshi was an economic program. He wanted to dump the feudal set-up and walk the capitalist road. He failed as an entrepreneur but did not give up his beliefs. It was fine with him if Indians continued using British goods till the time they achieved economic self-sufficiency.
Sandip, though, believed in political swadeshi, a program of violent struggle for the liberation of the Motherland from the British. He was inspired by the Hindu nationalist ideology of identifying the nation with the Mother Goddess and go to any extent, including assassination of officials and destruction of public life and property to achieve his aims. He campaigned against the use of Western goods but smoked British-made cigarettes and traveled in the elite first class compartments in trains.
Nikhil, like Tagore again, considered the worship of the nation as suicidal. His nationalism was moderate and inclusive, whereas the nationalism of Sandip was violent and exclusive. He objected to Sandip’s use of Hindu religious symbols for political purposes.
But why was Nikhil averse to worshipping the nation? Because for him, the nation was a physical reality, consisting of the people who lived in it. It had its merits, and it had its share of drawbacks too. Tagore said that worshipping a nation as God was to bring curse upon it. Nikhil was Tagore’s alter ego; like the author, he opposed deification of the nation. Like the author, again, he championed economic nationalism.
As far as Bimola is concerned, she was physically attracted to Sandip. She relished the idea that Sandip, a political leader of some repute and great learning, was drawn toward her, a rather plain looking woman. At the same time, she had total faith in Sandip, and believed in his sincerity of purpose in trying to liberate his Motherland from colonial bondage (she even started neglecting her husband from the time she came to know Sandip). But the moment the fraudulence of Sandip dawned on her, she realized her mistake. She can be forgiven on the ground that she—a secluded woman—was enticed by another man.

I dunno whether you will be satisfied with this. But I’m sure you will get a perspective.

Best wishes.
Dr. S.R.
manikjethu

Женский спортивный комплект Calvin Klein

Postby Kevinzer on Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:56 am

Дом моды Calvin Klein был основан в 1968 году в Нью-Йорке. Авторский стиль бренда и отменное качество пошива сделали марку популярной во всем мире. Мастера марки сшили спортивный комплект из мягкого хлопка, который не вызывает аллергию. Чтобы материал лучше тянулся, но при этом не вытягивался, в его состав добавлены волокна эластана. Плоские оверлочные швы не натирают кожу. Этот костюм - отличное решение для спортзала или просто вечерней пробежки по парку.

Купить -> http://mleads.net/p09efx
Kevinzer

Женский спортивный комплект Calvin Klein

Postby Kevinzer on Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:18 am

Дом моды Calvin Klein был основан в 1968 году в Нью-Йорке. Авторский стиль бренда и отменное качество пошива сделали марку популярной во всем мире. Мастера марки сшили спортивный комплект из мягкого хлопка, который не вызывает аллергию. Чтобы материал лучше тянулся, но при этом не вытягивался, в его состав добавлены волокна эластана. Плоские оверлочные швы не натирают кожу. Этот костюм - отличное решение для спортзала или просто вечерней пробежки по парку.

Купить -> http://mleads.net/p09efx
Kevinzer

SlimBiotic

Postby Kevinzer on Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:37 pm

SlimBiotic ПРОГРАММА ПОХУДЕНИЯ
ДЛЯ МАКСИМАЛЬНОГО СНИЖЕНИЯ ВЕСА!
Slim Biotic - борется со всеми причинами лишнего веса, запускает 12-часовой термогенный процесс расщепления жиров и выработки энергии.

В отличие от других средств, программа рассчитана на 7 дней пошагового применения, благодаря постепенному воздействию обеспечивается УСТОЙЧИВОЕ СНИЖЕНИЕ ВЕСА, ускоряются все процессы пищеварения и ВЕС НЕ ВОЗВРАЩАЕТСЯ даже после окончания приема курса. ====> http://c.twnt.ru/uph6
Kevinzer

Postby LenAlusly on Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:11 am

I remember that race Mike. There was a lot of hullabaloo about Sydney horse Special Girl

being far better than Melbourne horse Vain. Vain soon sorted that out
LenAlusly

Услуги сантехника – сварщика

Postby CharlesSok on Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:45 am

Любые виды сварочных работ в Краснодаре.
Услуги сантехника в Краснодаре которые мы можем выполнить:
Монтаж систем отопления и теплого пола, замена труб водопровода и канализации, установку сантехники любого типа — ванн, джакузи, раковин, унитазов, душевых кабин, стиральных и посудомоечных машин.
Сварка калиток, ворот, труб, и другие сварочные работы
Воспользуйтесь услугами профессионального сантехника-сварщика в Краснодаре для установки, ремонта, сварочных работ или замены сантехнического оборудования любого типа.
В ПРЕОБРЕТЕНИИ МАТЕРЬЯЛА - БОЛЬШОЙ ОПЫТ.
СТАЖ РАБОТЫ БОЛЕЕ 20 ЛЕТ,
ГАРАНТИЯ КАЧЕСТВА НА ВСЕ ВИДЫ РАБОТ 100%.
СОСТАВЛЕНИЕ ДОГОВОРА.
ЗВОНИТЕ: +79898182518 в любое время, ОТВЕЧУ на все ВОПРОСЫ
? В день вашего звонка: НЕ НАДО ЖДАТЬ?
? Только провенный инструмент: НАДЕЖНО?
? Оплата после приемки работ: НЕТ РИСКОВ?
? Довожу до результата ,когда вы скажете: ИДЕАЛЬНО?
? Контроль даже в случае вашего отсутствия: ЭКОНОМИТЕ ВРЕМЯ?
CharlesSok

Postby Rizalandele on Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:19 am

I think, that you are mistaken. Write to me in PM, we will talk.
Rizalandele

Return to Ghare-Baire (Home and the World), 1984