Skip to content

logo
Site Map | About Us | Contact

Home About Ray Biography Filmography Filmmaking Forum Great Directors Books & Videos Links

The Master's religious beliefs

The Master's religious beliefs

Postby manikjethu on Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:50 am

The Master was born in a leading Brahmo family in Calcutta on May 2, 1921 to Sukumar and Suprobha Ray. He remained their only child.
The Ray family belonged to the Sadharan (General Congregation) Brahmo Samaj, established by Pandit Sivanath Shastri after the Second Schism in 1878. The Sadharans revived the spirit of social and religious reform of Raja Rammohun Roy, abandoned caste and idolatry, and repudiated the various conceptual and procedural innovations that Baboo Keshab Chunder Sen(from whose Brahmo Samaj of India they had split to launch their independent church) had introduced in the Brahmo Samaj like Motherhood of God, aarati (showing of lights) service, and Holy Communion.
Satyajit Ray, from his childhood, found the Brahmo service boring and Brahmo festivals devoid of fun. On the contrary, he was much impressed by Durga Pujo, the annual public worship of the Mother Goddess celebrated by mainstream Bengali Hindus every October, at least for the joy that it evoked in children(Ref: Jokhon Chhoto Chhilam).
But that does not mean that the Master converted to Sanatan Dharma. Instead, He became an agnostic, maintaining in many of His writings and interviews that there was not enough evidence to either prove or disprove the existence of God.
Never did He try to undermine any faith, let alone deride Hindooism. He was against religious superstition, and vehemently opposed the divisive tendencies of organized religion.
But did a change overcome Him in His last days? Did He become a believer? That will forever remain a matter of intense speculation.
As for me, I saw the Divine Light in Him. Even if He did not believe in God, I still believe that Satyajit Ray was a Divine Manifestation. This is no hero-worship, but a faith that I hold dear to my heart.
manikjethu

Re: The Master's religious beliefs

Postby Yoltookane on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:27 am

If possible, I'd like you to present content. This again.
Yoltookane

Re: The Master's religious beliefs

Postby Doragiant on Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:42 am

I know you guys so much, that I have to answer this question.
Doragiant

Return to About Satyajit Ray: Miscellaneous