[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Satyajit Ray Org • View topic - Another Great Bengali

Skip to content

logo
Site Map | About Us | Contact

Home About Ray Biography Filmography Filmmaking Forum Great Directors Books & Videos Links

Another Great Bengali

Another Great Bengali

Postby Shikhar on Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:34 am

I just want to notify...that..in the mid 18th century..when the Brits..came to rule..the country they made Calcutt as their major base..to do it..and so was Bengal got influenced by the west much earlier then the rest of the nation. The advantage of this meeting was awareness of world knowledge to the high and low Hindus and from there new independent thoughts emerged in the mind of Bengalis.

Satyajit Ray (Manik). I wish he was alive so that the country's new film-makers could get knowledge about film making because I think today we don't have that cirumstances that was prevailing at that time (Tagore) Although Ray did'nt have any contribution in the independence struggle or making of the country India.. I feel he was one of a kind not only in the country but in the world. :!:

And I have just read little bit of him but I can feel how great films he made because he knew the people whose stories he made into films, I think that was a great discovery of the story and the film making be more fun because it would be like painting the pictures that you have seen and you wonder if it is perfect or not.

And finally just want to add that Bengal has given in modern India great people ..and here's another one and there's another one...
Shikhar

Re: Another Great Bengali

Postby davidals on Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:24 pm

Shikhar wrote:...I feel he was one of a kind not only in the country but in the world...

And finally just want to add that Bengal has given in modern India great people ..and here's another one and there's another one...

I agree with you very strongly - I am in the US (in North Carolina), and only discovered Ray's films a few years ago. I found a few of his films in a video shop here, and was stunned by how good they were, and sought out everything available in the US (which isn't nearly enough of his work). He's definitely one of my favorite filmmakers, from anywhere in the world, and after reading some of his other writing I was even more impressed, as his writing expressed his personality in a very detailed and charming fashion.

I would say that the few other Americans I know who are familiar with Ray's films are always very impressed, entertained and moved by the stories...
davidals

The Greatest Bengali of 20th Century

Postby Ramita Chaudhuri on Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:07 am

I have just registered today. But would still like to add my comments to what Shikhar and Davidal has to say.

I feel Satyajit Ray is "the greatest" bengali of 20th century. Why bengali, maybe one of the greatest artists of 20th century in the world. No one is as talented as he was, to my mind. Script writer, art director, composer, film director, short story writer and above all a great gentleman. He had mastered the art of perfection. Probably it was it his genes. Afterall his dad was equally talented or may be even more (if he lived that long).

Here I would like to comment on his collection of short stories. As a bengali, I had the previlege of growing up on Satyajit Ray's books. Specially in bengali language. They are awesome. Characters like Feluda- the detective, Topshey - his assistant / cousin /and the story teller, and the hilariuos Jatayu - detective / adventure story writer....I don't think we I will ever forget. It has been a part of our life (me/my brother and thousands of Bengalis like us) when we were growing up and as well as now.
Also the collection of 12 short stories. The amount of suspense he could build in couple of pages is awesome. At the end it will definitely leave you with a thought in mind. And the language used is very warm, colloquial. Something most of us Bengali's have forgotten now a days.

It's sad that he could make only a couple of movies out of his detective stories. Hope he was alive for much longer period.

But I guess, god also needs good people. Probably, thats why legends are born once in a century.
Ramita Chaudhuri

Postby mainak on Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:24 am

I quite agree with Ramita.
We miss him and we shall continue to miss him through our lifetimes.
mainak

Postby streetsmartrony on Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:54 am

Whenever I see Ray's films, I feel proud 2 be a Bengali. I only wish he were alive and kicking. He might have taught something to the film directors of today, who produce nothing but 'cinematic garbage' today.
streetsmartrony

Postby streetsmartrony on Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:56 am

The Master is truly India's Woody Allen!!!!!..........nobody was as versatile as him.
streetsmartrony

Re: Another Great Bengali

Postby 9DVD6HD8 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:29 am

Great people make great movies.

---------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.audvdmart.com/product/american-dad-dvd-box-set
9DVD6HD8

Return to About Satyajit Ray: Miscellaneous