[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
Satyajit Ray Org • View topic - Favorite

Skip to content

logo
Site Map | About Us | Contact

Home About Ray Biography Filmography Filmmaking Forum Great Directors Books & Videos Links

Favorite

Favorite

Postby rum3l on Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:41 am

I never knew that such a site dedicated to the great Satyajit Ray existed until i did a search on Google.
I had watched one of his films (Apus World) on Channel 4 a long long time back but was never able to get hold of his movies until last night when i ordered the whole trilogy from www.play.com for £39.99, it isnt much to pay for such a great piece of work!
Can anyone else please tell me what their favorite film of Mr Ray's is and why? :D
rum3l

Postby sayan on Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:42 pm

my favs are:
charulata (the lonely wife...arguably ray's own favorite), jono aranya(the middleman), Nayak and Agantuk(the stranger).
sayan

favorites

Postby davidals on Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:50 pm

I love them all; but I think Charulata is especially amazing; I (even as an American) can identify strongly with the characters and situations in The Middleman; and the first Ray film I encountered was Aparajito, so I would say those are my favorites.

The story, performances and cinematography in Aparajito are incredible...
davidals

Postby csrinivasan on Fri May 28, 2004 8:18 am

My personal favorites are in fact many : Charulata,Ghare Baire,Seemabaddha ,Jalshaghar and Nayak to name a few...
csrinivasan

favourite

Postby Miss chamko on Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:27 pm

My fav is shtaranj ke khilari. Its a beautiful film, once you watch it you'll kow why.

I also love jalsaghar
Miss chamko

Postby Hemant on Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:58 pm

Pathar Panchali followed by Apu Sansar. An indepth chronology of Stayajit Ray can be found on this Nepali site.
Hemant

Postby Rider on Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:55 am

Pather Panchali, just because as a whole it also happens to be the probably best film ever made, in my opinion..at least in the sense of pure, unadulterated and instinctive filmmaking. A group of first-time amateurs put the world's 'great' filmmakers to shame when they made it.
Rider

Postby abhijit on Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:50 pm

Definitely Pather Panchali. I can not imagine that it was his first film and how each and every character in the film was made so prominent on the screen. I think, later in an interview, Satyajit Ray self-criticized that he has made a lot of mistakes in it. I'm not a professional film critique but I have carefully watched it, at least 25 times, but have hardly found any so-called technical mistake. Rather, I still try to learn from it. Apart from his excellent direction, he created an art of looking through the camera (considering Indian films) garnished with bacground sound which were very apt and realistic.
abhijit

Postby chirpy_sabz on Wed May 18, 2005 11:27 pm

:cry: sadly so far I have only seen Pather Panchail and Shatranj ke Khiladi...I love both films but Pather Panchali was amazing. :D
chirpy_sabz

Return to Books, Videos & DVDs