Sandip Ray, Assistant to Ray & Director
Sandip Ray grew up on his father’s (Satyajit Ray) sets, beginning as a still photographer while still in school. In 1976, he became Ray’s assistant director.
While shooting for Ghare Baire (Home and the World, 1984) in mid-1980s, Satyajit Ray suffered two heart attacks. Sandip Ray completed the project from Ray’s detailed instructions.
His own first independent work, Phatik And The Juggler (Phatikchand), won the National Award for both his direction and the film; his second film, based on the script by Satyajit Ray completed Ray’s Goopy and Bagha trilogy. He also directed the “Satyajit Ray presents”; a television series based on short stories and screenplay by Satyajit Ray.
After Satyajit Ray’s death, Sandip made two films with the Ray regulars, including Target (1995) based on a screenplay by Satyajit Ray.
As Assistant to Satyajit Ray
- All Satyajit Ray’s films since 1976
- 1983 – PHATIKCHAND (Phatik and the Juggler)
- 1986 – SATYAJIT RAY PRESENTS I (TV)
- 1987 – SATYAJIT RAY PRESENTS II (TV)
- 1988 – KISHORE KUMAR (documentary)
- 1991 – GOOPY BAGHA PHIRAY ELO (The Return of Goopy & Bagha)
- 1994 – UTTORAN (The Broken Journey)
- 1995 – TARGET